Creamy chicken vegetable soup is hearty and filling, made with rotisserie chicken, nutritious veggies, and a thick and creamy soup base. Made in a single pot in 30 minutes, it makes a great weeknight comfort meal!
Creamy chicken vegetable soup is a hearty stovetop soup that's ready in just 30 minutes. It's made in a single stock pot, making kitchen cleanup a breeze!
A blend of nutritious vegetables, like carrots, celery, and zucchini add vitamins and nutrients, while garlic, onion, and thyme add the perfect amount of flavor.
It makes a great weeknight meal and has a mild, savory flavor that the entire family will enjoy. Serve creamy chicken vegetable soup on its own or with some crusty bread and a side salad.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Rotisserie chicken - One shredded rotisserie chicken makes this recipe easy to prepare on a busy weeknight. Rotisserie chicken can be substituted with about 16 ounces of cooked and shredded lightly seasoned chicken.
- Veggies - Onion, celery, and carrot create a flavor base, also known as mirepoix, for your soup. I do not recommend substituting these ingredients. Zucchini adds vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber to your soup. Zucchini can be substituted with chopped broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, or summer squash if desired. Feel free to add your favorite vegetables.
- Broth - Chicken broth works best in this recipe, but can be substituted with vegetable broth if desired.
- Garlic - If you don't have fresh garlic cloves on hand, I recommend substituting two cloves of garlic with ½ teaspoon of garlic powder. Jarred garlic can add a harsh flavor to your soup.
- Unsalted butter - Can be substituted with salted butter (cut the listed salt in half).
- Seasoning - Salt, pepper, and thyme season your soup and add depth of flavor. Thyme could be substituted with oregano or basil if desired.
- All-purpose flour - Thickens your soup by creating a roux with the butter.
- Milk - I used whole milk for a thick and creamy soup. Lower fat milks, like 1% or skim milk, will make your soup thinner and less creamy.
How to thicken your soup
Equal parts flour and butter are whisked together to create a roux. A roux is a thickening agent that can be used in gravies, sauces, soups, and stews.
Cornstarch can be used as a substitute if desired. Create a slurry of water and cornstarch before adding it to your soup along with the broth.
How to make soup creamy
Dairy - This recipe calls for two cups of whole milk, which makes you roux-thickened soup base creamy. For an even creamier soup, substitute the milk with half & half, or substitute one cup of milk with one cup of heavy cream.
Whisking - Don't forget to whisk together your liquids and roux. Whisking removes lumps and makes your soup creamy and smooth.
Leftovers and reheating
Leftover creamy chicken vegetable soup will keep for 3 to 4 days in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator and reheats well on the stovetop or in the microwave.
I do not recommend freezing cream-based soups as they tend to break when thawed.
Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 16 ounces whole milk
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat shredded, skin and bones discarded
- In a stock pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook until edges begin to lightly brown and onions begin to turn translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Add flour and toss to coat vegetables. Cook for 1 minute. Whisk in chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add salt, pepper, thyme, zucchini, and milk, stirring to incorporate.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until zucchini is softened to your liking. Stir in shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Leftovers will keep for 3-4 days in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator and reheat well on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Zucchini can be substituted with your favorite vegetables, like green beans, chopped broccoli or cauliflower, or yellow squash.
- Substitute 1 cup of milk with heavy cream for a richer soup. Or, substitute all of the milk with half & half.